Vintage Clarkson University tobacco card “circa 1910”
1 in stock
Vintage Clarkson University tobacco card “circa 1910” framed and ready for display! In the early 1900’s Murad Tobacco produced all sorts of cards and collectibles, often in the non-sports arena. But several of their issues focused on sports and, in particular, college sports, which were becoming more and more popular. In the process, Murad actually created some of the earliest known football, basketball, and hockey cards. This particular card depicts a train which was part of the original school seal.
I love the vintage images from a time gone by and would be the perfect gift for the soon to be graduate.
5 x 5 1/2 in the frame the card measures 2 x 2/12.
Below is the history of name changes through the years starting with Thomas S. Clarkson Memorial College of Technology who was the original name of the university.
The school was founded in 1896, funded by the sisters of Thomas S. Clarkson, a local entrepreneur who was accidentally killed while working in his sandstone quarry not far from Potsdam. When a worker was in danger of being crushed by a loose pump, Clarkson pushed him out of the way risking his own life. Clarkson was crushed against a wall by the swinging pump, sustaining severe internal injuries. He died five days later. The Clarkson family realized great wealth in the development of such quarries, and Potsdam sandstone was highly sought after by developers of townhouses in New York City and elsewhere. The family were important benefactors in the Potsdam area. The school was called the Thomas S. Clarkson Memorial School of Technology. In 1913, the name was changed to Thomas S. Clarkson Memorial College of Technology, which was used in a shortened version as Clarkson College of Technology or CCT. During the first half of the 20th century the majority of the campus was located “downtown”. The campus slowly expanded to an area known as the “Hill”, located on the south-western edge of the village. As of 2001, almost all academics and housing had moved to the hill campus, although the university still uses the downtown buildings known as Old Snell and Old Main for administrative functions.
On February 24, 1984, the school officially became Clarkson University, although the pep band’s rallying cry at hockey games is still “Let’s Go Tech!”. The school and its hockey team have carried the nickname “Tech” since the 1896 founding. “CCT” is still printed on older school property and equipment.